FOR – For kifejezéssel fejezzük ki, hogy egy cselekvés, esemény mennyi ideig tartott. Tehát időhosszról beszélünk! (The preposition for is used to express how long something or someone is doing something. For is used to state a period of time. For is used with a noun/pronoun (or any other form of nouns) or a noun .
- I have been riding my bicycle for 2 hours.
- The dog has been barking for a long time.
- The traffic has been bad for the last three days.
While – Akkor használjuk, ha két cselekvés vagy esemény egyidőben történt. The preposition while is used to represent the length of time an action has been happening.
While is used when speaking about 2 actions that are happing at the same time. The length of the action is not important.
While is used with a subject and a verb.
- While I was playing with my dog, my sister was doing her homework.
- While we are playing cards, the radio was playing.
- My mother doesn’t like the T. V. on while we are eating dinner.
DURING – Időhossz kifejezésére használjuk. (The preposition during is used to represent the length of time of an action that is while the action is happening. )
During is used with a noun/pronoun (or any other form of nouns).
- I will be really busy during the week.
- The kids were sleeping during the party.
- The lights went out during the storm.